Friday, April 25, 2008

Southern Take on Election from Jim


Well-Billy Bob came to our little town yesterday--he was only two hours late--about 1,500 people showed up. This is a hugely republican town and county,but he was making stops in mid-size towns stumping for his wife. Bill Clinton did some good things for this country during his two terms--and I have defined him many times in conversations with my republican friends(just like you in Hazen)--but I cannot go along with the way they have tried to smear Obama. Lucy and I are firmly in Obams' camp--in fact Lucy has done some phone calling on his behalf. Both the woman and the man running for democratic governor have endorsed him--I think he will take N.C.This state has a big black population and areas like Raleigh and Charlotte have a big group of young,educated white people--these two factors should give him a win in North Carolina. I think it's significant that registration in N.C is up by almost 200,000 people--not only is this true around here,it's happening all over the country. I think at least 80% of these new registers are doing so to back Obama. The N.C republican party plans to begin running a smear add on TV next week--they are a mean and vicious bunch--I think they figure if Clinton can win N.C. and go on to win the nomination,their man can beat her in the national election--they don't want to run against Obama--they're afraid of him. If Obama does eventually get the nomination,the republicans will crucify him--he'll be called a Muslim,blasted because of his pastor,etc. It will be one of the dirtest campaings in history--I say bring them on!According to the weather man,I see you're finally getting a little rain---imporant for the ethanol farmers! Rain will also produce brush and cover for the birds. Tell Cissie I'm picking spinach for supper tonight. Stay in touch----Jim

No comments: