Friday, April 25, 2008

Have a Big Nickel


My grandfather lived two houses away. In desperation Lord Kadizzle could always find some way to pry money out of the grandparents. Worst case scenario, you might have to cut the grass, or pick weeds, but sometimes if my grandfather was in a good mood, he would just pull a fifty cent piece out of his pocket, give it a spin as he tossed it and say "Here, have a big nickel ". As a five year old, this looked like money from heaven, but as an adult it is an insult when my government sends me a tax rebate for $1,200. It is an insult in many ways. First, am I really that stupid? My government is going to borrow money from me, and then give it to me as if it pulled a rabbit out of a hat? The $1,200 will just about put me back to where I would be without the new gas prices. What about the cost of food because of the ethanol debacle? Finally the total insanity of thinking this is going to stimulate the economy. What are most Americans going to do with the money? Run to Wal Mart and buy products from China? So it turns out if anyone benefits, it is China.

No comments: