Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Define Yourself

Have you ever had someone make a statement that immediately defined them. Yesterday a younger fellow told me Obama was a Muslim. I asked why. He explained that it was because Obama will not take an oath on the Bible, or salute the flag. These are two outrageous rumors being spread by guess who? Unfortunately this young man defined himself as a person who is ill informed, a person who will believe anything, and a pretty sad case of a person empowered with the right to vote. Next he told me he would not vote for Clinton, because she was a woman. Wow, this all said a lot about him.

For lack of a better way to entertain myself at six in the morning, I have been watching youtube videos. Somehow I stumbled across various people who have encountered Bill O'Rielly. You know, he is the simple minded commentator on Fox News. Tell me you think this man has any credibility, and you have just defined yourself. There are a special bunch of people who watch and believe Fox News is a real news source. Those people are on a different planet than the one I inhabit. O'Rielly is a remarkable idiot. One of the clips I watched involved O'Rielly accusing American troops of committing a massacre on German troops during World War Two. The historical truth was just the opposite. The Germans captured the Americans and gunned them down in cold blood. Three months later, after O'Rielly had been told numerous times he was incorrect, he again made the same assertion. The man is a total idiot, his logic is perverse. One clip had some commentators ranting because O'Rielly blamed a woman's rape on the woman. The woman had a bare midriff, so O'Rielly implied it was her fault. By O'Rielly's standard any woman at the beach in a bikini is inviting rape, and the rapist has little blame. The man is totally nuts, but his logic works for those without their own. If you like O'Rielly chances are you will not like me, I have a low tolerance for simple mindedness.

No comments: