Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Christmas for Hungry Man, and maybe Hungry Woman


About four years ago we stumbled across a good hunting spot. A peculiar elder couple lives on a farm far south of Hazen. They seem to be the poorest people I have found in the whole county. I would guess they are in their late eighties, yet they still work hard and raise a few cattle. There home looks like something out of a fairy tale. It is a small two room shack, heated by coal. There is no door knob, just a piece of string through the hole where the knob should be. You could easily assume the whole place was abandoned. The first time I met hungry man I asked if we could hunt, graciously he gave us permission. I asked him if he would like to have some pheasants if we got any. When we dropped off the birds later in the day I could see they were very happy to get the meat. Ever since then I have always left them pheasants when I hunt there or I am in the area. They are very reclusive, and often will not answer the door. In order to leave the birds for them so the cats don't get them I have to hang the birds from the little porch in front of the house by bailer twine. Today I was lucky to see Mr. Hungry out in the farm yard when we got near. I was able to give him four pair of socks we carry to give farmers that let us hunt and four pheasants. I could tell he was pleased and it was the best Christmas present I have been able to give in a long time. There must be a good story about this couple that have stayed together alone in the middle of no where for years. Every time I see them I wonder, how did this couple come to be. When I drove up he was tattered and torn doing something with his fence. To keep himself warm he had bailer twine wrapped around his middle to keep his coat tight. Many times we see the two together out in the field moving bales with the old pickup truck. Was there a time when this was a handsome young man, and she was his dream? Did they ever know they would spend the end of their days by themselves alone miles from anyone, working day by day, side by side? Everyone has their own definition of contentment, and happyness, perhaps these people are richer than any of us because they have learned to be happy with what they have.

No comments: