Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A little walk


Today was supposed to be a take it easy rest day after both of us had a hard day of hiking. Thinking we would follow the plan, Lord Kadizzle made the fatal mistake of following The Commander on what was to be a short hike. It never fails when we leave all equipment at home, such as the GPS, rope, and all the other get out of a jam essentials, the hike turns into an odyssey. The canyon we hiked today is one of our favorites. We gained about six hundred feet of elevation, and made it to the top in an area we had not been before. If water is running in this canyon, it is a marvel to see. The canyon has a series of what look like natural hot tubs. When the stream runs, the water runs into each tub, swirls around and goes to the next. On a hot summer day with water running, it would be paradise. As I left the canyon, I met two couples. One was from North Dakota. In no time, we established he knew one of our ex neighbors in Hazen. At the bottom of this canyon are Indian petroglyphs. I was puzzling and speculating for some time why they were here. When Winky reads this, I will have to admit I missed the obvious. For years, I have been thinking the drawings were to indicate this was a way to the top of the mesa. I mentioned this to Wink, and she said they probably refereed to the water, which is always present in the holes. Sheepishly, I will have to admit I missed the obvious. I think The Commander got it right. It was a classic case of not seeing the forest for the trees. Chalk up one for the commander.

No comments: