Friday, March 23, 2007

Last Day at Butler Wash, Strange Dots Found



We had planned to leave today, but her Eminence talked his lordship into one more hike. We actually made two hikes. On hike number one, we went to an excellent Kiva site. While there, another hiker noticed dots on the top of the cave. The dots were too high to have been put there unless someone did it with a long pole. The fact that there were four dots, and they were evenly placed led me to speculate they might be used as a calender to mark the seasons. I took out my compass and sited due south to see if they lined up properly. It appeared they did. When I saw where the compass pointed, I noticed a small rock formation on the top of the opposite canyon wall. Was it possible that rock formation was casting a beam or shadow onto the cave ceiling to mark the equinoxes and solstices? Where is Brian Kerns when you need him? This could be a major discovery. We need to bring the experts back and do some calculations.

From the Kiva site, we tried to go up and over to the next canyon. A storm was approaching and we both thought it unwise to tempt the lord to wipe out a couple of sinners with a bolt from the blue, so we headed back to the truck. At the truck, we met some older folks that have been seeking ruins for thirty years. One of the gentlemen gave me the GPS figures for some very nice sites. This is a godsend. The other group told us about petroglyphs up the next canyon to the North, so of course we had to take off in pursuit. The picture above is very near the top of the canyon. It was a very tough hike with a poor trail. On the way up I found two small black and white shards. My sighting skills amazed me. One was the size of a dime, and the other not much bigger. As we neared the top The Commander found some petroglyphs. When I approached the area, I noticed a strange pile of rocks under a very large boulder. The bolder had fallen from above and created a cave under itself. Investigating the sight I found another large black and white pot shard, pictured above.

No comments: