Friday, December 22, 2017

They passed an Ordinance in this town

They passed an ordinance in our town they said
we would have to tear it down.
That little shack out back that is so dear to me.
Though the health department said it’s day was over and dead.
It will stand forever in my memory.


Don’t let them tear that little brown building down
There is not another like it in this city or the town.


It was not so long ago I went tripping through the snow
Out to the house behind my old hound dog.
Where I would sit me down to rest like a snowbird on it’s nest
And I would read that Sears and Roebuck catalogue.


Oh I would hum a happy tune peeping through the quarter moon.
As my daddy’s kin has done so much before.
It was in that spot daily cares could be forgot
And it gave the same relief to rich and poor.


Now it was not a castle fair, but I could dream a future there
Build my castle to that yellow jackets drone
I could orbit round the sun fight with General Washington
Or be king upon a golden throne


It was not fancy built at all we had newspapers on the wall
It was airconditioned in the winter time
Oh it was just a humble hut but it’s door was never shut
And a man could get in the door without a dime

No comments: