Thursday, January 04, 2007

Stanton brings big scrabble guns to Hazen


Apparently word spread to Stanton that some people in Hazen were getting heady about their scrabble talents. The commander and I saw lights coming down 7th AVE, and it was not long before we heard a knock on the door. It was the notorious Kerns Gang from Stanton. They pulled in the driveway with their cycles. With the snow on the ground they had chains on the rear wheels. Their babes were sitting on the back, one had a scrabble game in her hand. It wasn't long before their leader banged on the door and yelled "Open up in there". The commander and I were scared, but we opened the door. Ray said " So you Hazen punks think you can spell, and know a few words, huh". "Well", I replied " We do own a scrabble game". The commander had just cooked a wonderful prime rib, and she was thinking it might calm them down, but when they sat at the table they immediately set their board down and opened it. After a tuff game which Bismarck Ann won, they agreed to eat. Once they knew how the commander could cook, I knew they would not hurt her, but what about me. After I saw Ray was as bad a speller as I am I felt better. I knew Brian's babe could be trouble, she had a scrabble letter on a necklace. For some reason on a chain made of gold most loggers would be proud of she had the letter "J". No telling what she was planning on spelling. Later I found out. She yanked it off and spelled Jazz. It turned out to be a triple word score.

As the night went on we plied them with liquor and managed to win a few games. After they saw we were not knock overs, they settled down. For some reason they liked the word hair, and were not above spelling it hare.

The evening ended, and Hazen did learn a lesson. People in Stanton can spell a few words. As they left they gunned the engines on their cycles and it appeared flames shot from the tires as the snow chains sparked on our pavement. The commander gave them some fresh ginger bread to take home. I think they left in peace. When they left I mooned them and yelled "spell this". Apparently they misunderstood me and thought I said "smell this", because they all shouted back, "We can". If they come back we will be ready for them. I am learning to spell Constantinople with a "K".

No comments: