Saturday, January 06, 2007

Final Round of Pheasant Season Today



Today is the end of the bird season. The birds that are still out there and alive are that way for a reason. Put simply, they are smart. The commander and I chased them senseless yesterday. First, I went back north and retraced my steps from Thursday. On Thursday I lost the cocking lever for my gun. I came across a very nice flock of grouse while in the truck, but did not get a shot. After hiking a mile and one half through and area with lots of known pheasants, I only saw two in the distance. In the afternoon we went South of town. There were about fifty birds out in the open waiting for lead. We played the game plan pretty well. We attacked from the south and they still managed to avoid us. Cissie shot a couple gun cleaners, but no good shots. Then we went into the valley where they hid and ran around in circles chasing birds. Again we had no luck. Next we went over to some public land. Cissie flock shot into some partridge and did no harm. We hunted Dangler's fence row. No bird could be trapped. Somehow they seem to know we are coming from a mile away.

Today if everything comes together, Shanika Stevens will join us from Bismarck, and we will go out to our glory hole. If we can get Emil to go to his farm with us we will make the final assualt. The dumb birds are all dead by now, and the wise old rooster are all that is left. In the last week the commander and I have worked ourselves into soreness. We will need a rest after today.

No comments: