Thursday, March 20, 2008

Shotgun Jerry

Last night Shotgun Jerry came over from his truck camper parked about a hundred yards away and did some serious medication with us. Ironically the other day he gave me a book to read. The book was The God Delusion, it was a book I had been wanting to read. Jerry just did not seem to be the kind of guy who would have or read such a book, so my curiosity got the best of me and I asked how he happened to have the book. Jerry explained to me that he liked to know both sides of things. At first glimpse Jerry would fool you. Jerry is 67, and looks like the rugged lumberjack from the Northwest he is, however Jerry is a many of many experiences and jobs. Most important Jerry strikes me as a man who has evolved because he has maintained an open mind. He told us about his kids coming home from Sunday school which their mother insisted they attend. According to his kids, Jerry would always ask them when they got home "You don't believe any of that shit? Do you?". Meeting people willing to question, and learn is always refreshing. Hopefully when we are rid of Bush people will see the evil of getting stuck in a mental rut of blind followership. People can learn, they can change. There are some good opinion articles in the NYT today. Be sure to read the one on slavery, it is very well written.

Now back to Shotgun Jerry, how did he get that name? According to Bill the host at the Ranger Station, Jerry was showing him his model 12 shotgun. After clearing the chamber several times on the pump shotgun, Jerry pulled the trigger and blew a hole in the roof of his camper. When Jerry showed up at our campsite, he did not know me or the fact that I knew this story. Casually I walked over to him and introduced myself. After a little small talk, I asked him if he had any guns? He admitted he did, and I told him he could not stay near us. He looked flustered and did not know what to do, then he asked me why. I told him I had heard about this fellow called Shotgun Jerry who blew the top out of a camper and I was taking no chances. After he realized he had been had we got to be good neighbors. Every morning his dog Stoggie comes over to get an itch behind the ears.

No comments: