Thursday, May 24, 2007

Making the country safe for Democracy


I remember back during the Vietnam war, when we were bombing the hell out of them. Someone asked a soldier what he was doing, he replied "Making the country safe for democracy". Sometimes it takes a lot of explosives to make a place safe for democracy. It looks like today is going to be an overcast, boring day, so I need a reason to go on living. So my mission today will be to make the country safe for democracy. This will first entail unloading the milk truck from Bismarck for Daryl. When Elmer leaves to work on the potato planting project, I have to fill in as substitute milk man. You might think democracy involves diplomacy and such, but to me it means making sure people have potatoes and milk. When times were simpler people would go to war over potatoes and milk. Brave men like myself, and Elmer have eliminated wars related to food shortages. After we have solved the world hunger problem it will be time to educate ourselves, which means a trip to the post office. I am going to sneak up to my P.O. Box and peak in the little window. If there is a letter in there from the IRS, I will slip out the door unnoticed. On the other hand if the box is full of interesting stuff, like credit card offers, we are off to the races.

By the time all of this is done, I will have the whole afternoon to make the world safe for democracy. However, if the Commander gets hold of me democracy could involve cleaning toilets. Yes, freedom means being free from germs. This project could involve chemical warfare, so I may have to suit up as we say. One thing I like about this project is I get to see where my dreams went.

No comments: