Monday, May 21, 2007

Commander runs a tight ship


For hours we cleaned and cleaned on the good ship yesterday. I thought it would be in the water by now, but as things now stand North Dakota is not protected by a Navy. Her Lordship has never approved of the way I keep house, so she scraped and polished every little nook and cranny. We are trying a minimalist approach to boating this year. We have taken everything off the boat, and put back only what we truly need. Undoubtedly this will mean that there will be some crises and the captain will say, "If I only had a thingamajig, I could fix this". Well, for years we have been carrying hundreds of pounds of thingamajigs, and never needed them.

Lord Kadizzle is not qualified to work on the interior, which really breaks his heart, so he was sentenced to clean up the waterline. This may sound simple, but it required sanding sixty eight feet of waterline. A passerby, and oftime critic (Bill Butcher) noted that the hull never looked so good. I would agree, and Bill did not even see the boat after I had polished the prop. If I do not get a quarter knot more speed out of the old girl, great disappointment will ensue.

No comments: