Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Boat Work Today



Getting the good ship in the water is not a simple matter. The first thing you have to pour into the boat is money. This year new life lines, new stereo speakers, a new wind vane, and new battens for the sails make up only part of the bills. Monday I jacked up the boat with a twenty ton hydraulic jack so I could work on the keel. This was not a simple job. Lowering the boat was just as bad. Today I hope to install the speakers, and finish up the lifeline job.

Last year I set a new world record for pouring money into the good ship. I had to haul the boat to Bismarck and have extensive fiberglass work done where the mast goes through the deck. This involved removing the mast and reinstalling it.

On a day with fifty mile an hour gust out of the west The Commander and I were headed East. It was a good and exciting downwind run. Under these circumstances it can be dangerous if anything goes wrong. We have done this many times in the past. I noticed the commander was nervous. Finally I asked "Why are you so worried?". The Commander explained she was concerned about the mast. I asked "Why are you worried about the mast?". She replied "Because YOU put it up". If for some reason that mast let loose it would have been the mother of all disasters with the wind we were experiencing. The Commander does not have the appropriete faith in repair work done by Lord Kadizzle. The mast held just fine and we made it back to port setting some new speed records on the way.

No comments: