Thursday, November 27, 2008

Everyone Needs a Problem

So many times in life someone has come up to me and said "Why does he do that?". My answer is "He needs a problem". Have you ever seen someone with a clear cut simple solution make a project into a complicated mess? Two types come to mind. I know people who either want a sail boat, or an airplane. Instead of just buying one, they make a nightmare out of acquiring one by attempting to build it. One friend started over twelve years ago building a plane and it is still in the garage taking up space and reminding him of the money he wasted. Another friend has worked on a boat for over twenty five years. Look at the people you know and ask yourself how many times they deliberately created a problem for them self when a simple solution was at hand. Look at the results. Sometimes a victory is achieved and the result is terrific, but nine times out of ten it is a disaster. I know a young couple that decided to move a house rather than build one. In retrospect it would have been so simple in cheap to build one, but now they have a problem that will last for years. Most of these attempts start with the delusion "I can save a lot of money". Most of the time they end up as an economic disaster. I always thing back to the time my uncle told me "A dog needs feas'. Dogs have it made, but they need something to battle, fleas are the perfect solution. The dog only knows its good, because the flea reminds him of what bad is. People are just big dogs.

No comments: