Sunday, April 01, 2007

Welcome to North Dakota, Where you can shoot the UPS man


You can't get elected in North Dakota unless you have the support of the National Rifle Association. Of course the NRA wants some paybacks, so the Republican Legislature has been working on some new legislation that will make it easier to shoot someone at your doorstep. If you decide to blow away the UPS guy, it is up to him to prove he meant no harm. I had to make Megan put the gun down after she got the wrong stuff in a package UPS delivered.

I am not sure what the current law is in North Dakota about carrying guns to church, but I know Utah now makes it legal. A gun in church is just what you need if you are going to fight Satan. Our legislature is always trying to catch up with the most backward states, so it will not be long before we can follow Utah's lead. It used to be illegal to carry guns into schools in Utah, but no longer. I know it would have helped my grades if I sat in class with my shotgun.

When we were in Sedona this year hiking, we reached a location that the Pink Jeep Tours also visit. Two Canadian friends were hiking with us. The Canadians found it hard to believe that both the man and woman Jeep Tour guides that happened to be there had revolvers strapped to them. I am not sure if this guise was to show foreign visitors how dangerous the West is, or to prove to them we are indeed a country of gun nuts. The dangerous area we were hiking in was about three hundred yards from a Sedona neighborhood.

No comments: