Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Fun with Sewage


After twenty years of loyal service the sewage lift pump in the basement gave out. Today Kadizzle has the pleasant job of replacing it. As if the expense of a new pump were not enough, the bonus will be cleaning out the basin and the other assorted task that make playing with sewage fun. Hopefully this pump will live longer than Kadizzle. At eighty I don't want to do it again. That is one nice thing about getting old, when you complete a task, it may be the very last time you have to do it. This reminds me of two of my favorite humor moments. One was a cartoon of a guy in Cuba. The poor guy was tied to a post and blind folded. He was about to be executed. A member of the firing squad offered him a cigarette. The guy refused saying "No thanks, I am trying to quit".

H.L. Mencken as a young reporter covered a hanging in Baltimore. The poor black man who was about to be hanged was asked by the hangman if he had anything he would like to say before he was hung. His reply was "This is sure going to teach me a lesson". That is sort of how I look forward to changing the sewage lift pump.

No comments: