Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Black guy at the Klan rally

Tomorrow, Kadizzle will lay his old neighbor Pat Galvin to rest. Pat was always a lot of fun. When Pat and I built his sun room years ago we had a couple of breaks per day. At noon Pat took a brief nap while he fell asleep listening to Rush Limbaugh. After he awoke we would work until "Conversation". Pat habitually went to "Conversation" everyday. Pat might hold court at Jimmie's Bar, or it might be at the coffee shop. As Pat's only employee on the construction project, it was often my privilege to go to the coffee shop where a fringe benefit was a piece of pie with ice cream.

As everyone knows Pat was a staunch Republican. Kadizzle tried every cure known to man, but Pat died a Republican. At his funeral tomorrow Kadizzle will be a pall bearer. The service will be attended by all the party faithful. As a terrible liberal Kadizzle will know what it is like to be a black man at a Klan rally.

Pat's last words to me were " I am glad to see you, but I don't know why". If Kadizzle ever gets up yonder, and meets his old friend again, that is how I will greet him. The truth is I would know why I was glad to see him. We always had a good laugh when we met, you could count on it.

No comments: