Saturday, February 09, 2008

Chief Talking Pants


On the way to Cottonwood, the Kadizzles drove down their favorite road past Villa Nuevo. Someone decorated the tree that must have been on fire at one time. Not much else of note happened except the encounter with Chief Talking Pants. It was a very nice day and a good, although long one from Evergreen. When we stopped in Winslow, Arizona there were several intoxicated Indians waiting at the gas pump to greet us. After introducing himself as a Navajo, one of the badly beaten up fellows proceeded to acoust Lord Kadizzle for a hand out. As we talked I could hear a cacophony of noises coming from his pants with an accompanying oder. I asked what his Indian name was and he told me his friends called him Chief Talking Pants. I could see any money I gave him would quickly go to the liquor store. Since he had two blackened eyes I was courious what happened to him. The Chief explained he had been beaten with a bottle while hitch hiking. There were other sober Navajos filling gas and I suggested the Navojos should help their own. The Chief did not seem to think that prospect was good, but we had to leave him at the pump waiting for the next donation.

No comments: