Friday, December 31, 2021

Grandparents House


 Between my childhood home and my grandparents house there was just one other home. My grandparents lived on the next street over. At one time my grandfather was mayor of Wheeling, West Virginia, and also a prominent attorney. He was one of the first professional football coaches ever, and refereed at the Rose Bowl. At one time in college he played against Jim Thorpe. 

My grandfather Russell Goodwin is in the Wheeling Hall of Fame. His house was very nice. At one time it was actually two nice apartment houses. My Grandfather took out the dividing walls and ended up with a nice home. Since it was two separate apartments the house ended up with two of everything. Two kitchens, two nice staircases, two nice bathrooms, and a hall on the second floor that was two halls wide now that the center dividing wall was removed. The bedrooms were large, but the most amazing part was a very large attic with a full sized bedroom, a bathroom, and a large room for a pool table. Neighborhood kids spent hours playing pool in my Grandfathers attic. He was tolerant of the noise created by a bunch of kids over his bedroom. In addition to the house there was a two story garage with several large rooms. One of the rooms above the garage was a dark room. Both my grandfather, and one of my uncles were very enthusiastic photographers. One large kitchen wall was covered with family photos. My Grandfather bought each of his five children a nice home in the area where he lived. My cousins lived within blocks and it was great to grow up with the extended family nearby. 

No comments: