Friday, September 21, 2007

Count Your Tires



What a day for old Lord Kadizzle. Yesterday I set out to haul silage. My silage truck is a 1973. My employer told me to take a load of silage to town and get it weighed. On the way I felt like I hit a pot hole. I looked back and saw a small pile of gravel, and thought perhaps that was the bump. The truck drove just fine, and I thought nothing of it. When I got to the truck scale another truck driver came up to me and said, "Some truck just lost some tires". I had no idea he was talking about me, so I asked where, and he took me to the back of my truck. To my amazement a set of dual wheels was gone. A truck that started the day with ten tires now only had eight. I suspected the bump I felt at the intersection may have been the tires going their own way. I drove to the intersection a few miles back in my pickup, and sure enough the tires had crossed the road by themselves and were happily resting in the ditch. No problem, we borrowed another truck. The borrowed truck had many special features, two bullet holes in the windshield, no brakes, no lights, no muffler, no horn, and it was probably ten years older than the last truck. It did have one nice feature four less tires. Now if any fell off I would know it. When my boss assigned me to the truck I asked if there was some special ceremony that I should undergo, like the Kamakasi do. I thought he would give me a sacred scarf to wear. He didn't do that, but when I got to the field he kneeled and prayed in font of the truck. It must have worked the truck lasted for the whole day. The last load was driven back to the yard in the dark, I would say it was an instrument flight, but none of the instruments worked. I am taking a compass today.

No comments: