Saturday, August 11, 2007

CPR on the Roof


One morning last week I walked out our back door with no particular goal in mind. I noticed roofers next door loading shingles on the roof of my neighbors house in preparation to redo the roof. I saw one man laying face down. I thought perhaps he was examining something. It did seem peculiar, but I went on down the street behind our house. Immediately I saw a policeman running toward the ladder leading to the neighbors roof. The policeman had his first aid bag so I thought I would follow him and see if I could help since I have had taught first aid for many years and had a lot of emergency experience.

On the roof face down, and apparently not breathing was my daughters high school track coach. His son was on the cell phone talking to 911. The ambulance crew arrived and administered CPR to the fallen roofer. With some help from a tree trimming crew and their truck we managed to get the man off the roof and into the ambulance.

The coach was revived and is hospitalized in Bismarck. Apparently he had a massive heart attack and has not yet gained consciousness. The coach was a very healthy man and the whole situation made me think a lot about how quickly one can go from good health to bad.

This morning I spoke to someone who told me the coach awakened, got out of bed and tried to walk out of his hospital room. Having seen the man on the roof I would have sworn he was dead. If he suffers no brain damage from this whole incident it will truly be a miracle

No comments: