Friday, July 13, 2007

A Man I respect


Anyone who knows me knows I am a flaming liberal. One of my pet issues is income inequality in our country. Frequently I argue with someone on the conservative side regarding the trickle down nonsense. The best person I can site to support my case always turns out to be Warren Buffet. Mr. Buffet is one of the top four wealthiest people in the United States. His investing knowledge is legendary. His economic knowledge is sought by every peanut that wants to become a great investor. Several key things he and I agree on are the inheritance tax, he is for it. Secondly he believes in a strongly progressive income tax. These are both things the typical conservative is against. Buffet intends to leave none of his billions to his children. He is giving it to Bill Gates charity, which in turn will give it away. Mr. Buffet is one of the few people in his income bracket that in my mind is honest, and moral.

The best thing about using Warren Buffet as a source in an argument with a hard core Republican is that they cannot question any aspect of Mr. Buffet. His credentials are impeccable. Buffet has done every thing the typical greedy person wants to do, but he has never used more than his share or threatened not to share. I have no problem with his form of capitalism. Buffet is a perfect example of what capitalism should be. Read about the man if you are enraptured with the Bush gang, or the Reagan mentality, you might become enlightened.

One of the best things Buffet ever did was write a letter to the Washington Post. The letter explained in detail how his receptionist paid a higher tax rate than he did. This letter blew a lot of the trickle down guys right out of their easy chairs.

No comments: