Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Commander Speaks




The day after arriving at the Phantom Ranch, Mike and I finally had a day apart. I wanted to hike up to Ribbon Falls on the North Kaibab Trail- a 12 mile roundtrip hike. Mike preferred to rest his turkeys around the Colorado River. He wanted to make me take a two radio, but I refused as it was nice being on my own for a whole day. Also, the radios would not have worked for more than one twist in the canyon walls. The hike through the earth over 5,000 ft. below the surface was a history lesson in geology and kept reminding me of the scenes on TV of molten lava flowing through rock and rising up out of the ground. This rock was now cold but still had the appearance of flowing rock. The prize at the end of the 6 miles was Ribbon Falls. The photos do not show the heighth of the falls, which was at least 150' over all. You could hike behind the falls and view the world through the falls. After this walk through time, I hiked back as quickly as possible in order to make it to the Ranch's cantina for beers before supper.

No comments: