Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Great Wall of Hazen



As yesterday drew to a close I ended the day with a great deal of respect for the builders of the Great Wall of China. With the help of the mayor I built the great wall at the pocket park for the third time. The first time I built the wall, The Commander didn't like it. So I tore it down and rebuilt. The second time I built the wall the Mayor didn't like it, so the mayor and I rebuilt it yesterday.The latest version still needs some tweaking, but we had to stop due to frustration late in the day. Piling up stones would seem like a simple matter, but there are many lessons. The temptation to work with the easiest stones first is a big mistake. When you get to the end all you will have left is irregular stones that don't fit, you realize the easy way out doesn't work. Both the mayor, and The Commander wanted to start on both ends and work toward the middle. Neither would listen to me when I said that was a mistake. Try piling up stones, and then go look at what the Indians of the southwest did, look at what the Egyptians did, look at the castle builders, and the Incas, and you will have a new respect. The mayor and Lord Kadizzle had the advantage of modern equipment. We could move the stones hydraulically. From one day of work the skin on my hands is cracked and sore. Moving stones has been one of mans oldest accomplishments, but I don't think I could make it in the stone age.

No comments: